Are you a mom of a newborn son and you want to make a cuter, heartwarming post for your family? Well, you are on the right platform to learn the basics of how to create a photo shoot that captures your newborn son’s cuteness.
My name is Jessie, a mom of 3 who loves taking pictures of her family and kids. In this tutorial, I will share with you some of my secrets on how to DIY photoshoots for cute mom and son photoshoot ideas. So let’s get started!
1. Location scouting
The first thing that comes to mind as a photographer is a location for the shoot. A beautiful location may look good on camera but what kind of message do you want to deliver? For example, if you have a beach in front of your house you might be tempted to take photos there because it is close to your home. But it might not look good when used for a photo shoot. The main consideration for the location of the photoshoot is what message do you want to deliver?
2. The clothing and accessories
Clothing and accessories help you make your photoshoot more lively, vibrant, and cute. If you wear orange clothes on a sunny day, it will make your photos look dull. Your clothing should be comfortable as well as safe for your baby. The accessories you use in the photoshoot are all about the message you want to deliver.
3. The props
These are all about your creativity. You can make up anything. For example, when my son was 1 month old, I took him to a fair and I used the noisemaker of a carnival as my prop (however, if your baby is still young, it can be dangerous to take him to an active place).
You can use a flash, but it is not recommended because it can hurt your baby. However, if you want to do this as a challenge and you want to try something new, I recommend you use a flashlight. You might be limited with the places where you could use the flashlight and also what kind of message you want to deliver in the photoshoot. For example, my husband took my newborn son for photoshoots in our living room. It was natural light, we had a small lamp on the floor but the place was not very bright. Since I have newborn photos of my baby but it was gloomy, I asked my husband to use a flashlight or make the room brighter. It looked much better than what we had before.
Timing is an important factor that cannot be emphasized enough. If you are a newbie, thinking about how to DIY photoshoots for cute mom and son ideas, I suggest you find the timing while your baby is sleeping. It might result in a more amazing photoshoot. On the other hand, I do not recommend taking the newborn photoshoot right after your baby’s birth because it will look too rushed. It will be a waste of time and money.
6. Camera settings
I suggest you use a DSLR or Mirrorless camera for the photoshoots because it is the best camera ever made. When I printed my photos, they looked so clean and sharp! The problem with this kind of camera is that they are not designed for beginners in terms of usage. My advice is to read the manual first before you start using your camera. If you don’t have a DSLR camera, don’t worry! Your smartphone camera will do just fine. You can read my guide about how to take the best pictures with your smartphone.
As I started, the location is the most important thing you need to consider when you DIY a photoshoot. However, sometimes this would not work if you do not have experience in taking photos like me when I took my newborn photos. The best place for me to take my baby’s photo is indoors, but on my first attempt, it was all wrong. It was gloomy and the room was too bright with all the lights turned on, so it does not look good on camera.
I use 2 types of lighting. Natural light and flashlight.
Natural lighting is the best for night shoots so it will not be too dark or too bright. To take my baby’s photos in natural light, I simply turn on all the lights in the house and let my baby sleep while I take photos. It looks great.
Flash Lighting might be limited to certain places, but it is still safer if you are using a baby in the photoshoot. You might need to make your room brighter or put more lights on the floor to get more balanced lighting.
When you take photos, it is not only about capturing the moment but also about creating a story. For example, my husband and I used to take our newborn photos in the living room. But it was a sunny day and there was no natural light in the living room. So I asked my husband to take our photos in the playroom of our house which is dark and quiet.
I made myself a confession. I have never used Photoshop or other editing programs until I became a mom of an adorable child. Since then I started using Photoshop to make the photos look more beautiful, natural, and eye-catching. Once you own a DSLR camera or mirrorless, it is very easy for you to edit your photos because most of the programs are free!
11. Working with an assistant
You can get better results if you have an assistant to help you with the DIY photoshoot, especially when your baby’s sleeping. You are supposed to be alone as much as possible while taking the photoshoot but it is not possible when your baby is sleeping. You might need to do a few shots before and after changing your baby. It is best if you have someone else who will help you. I have an assistant to help me when I took my baby’s photos.
12. Getting creative
You need to be creative when you are DIY a photoshoot, especially when you want to take your baby’s photo in a certain location such as the bedroom or bathroom. I suggest you look for ideas for DIY photoshoots on Pinterest and Youtube. You can always be googling ideas on DIY photoshoots for cute moms and sons.
I will describe a few things that you need to do when you DIY a photoshoot for cute mom and son ideas;
- Figure out the best location for the photo shoot.
- Figure out what message you want to deliver to your viewers or your audience, and make it part of your photoshoot concept (i.e. Take a photo in an environment or change your outfit).
- Create a checklist for your props and other things you need for the photoshoot.
- Get your baby ready, make it comfortable and also try to put it in a good mood.
- Prepare the location of your shoot (i.e.: Set up lights, floor lamps, furniture, and other stuff that will help you).
- Take photos of your baby while it is calm like sleeping or smiling at you.
- After taking the photos of your baby, edit them if necessary (i.e. crop, crop and edit your photo, or take photos of your baby and make a collage).
- Create a photo story that can be visually appealing and very cute.
- Share your DIY photoshoots on social media
Why do I need to take photos of my baby?
1) Taking photos of your baby is like a confession. It’s a way to express your love and care to the world. Even if you want to keep your baby’s photos private, it’s still important for you to take the newborn photoshoot. Sometimes, it can be part of your fun time.
2) If you want to enter a photo contest, it is also important to take photos of your baby. Many photo contests are looking for great photos of your baby. But remember to read the rules first and make sure that it is not against the rules.
3) You can also publish your newborn photo with other babies and share the love on social media. That’s why I take care of my baby’s health and always check on the vaccines and nutrition.
4) A newborn photoshoot is a great way to show gratitude to the amazing person who helped you during your pregnancy and delivery. For example, you may want to nominate your OB or Gyne, or a friend or family member who helps you deliver your baby. Or if it’s difficult for you to choose, you can also create a collage of cute mom and son photos with special people in your life.
5) Last but not least, you can create a story about your newborn’s first photoshoot!
The most important thing you need to consider when you take cute mom and son photos is that your baby should feel comfortable while taking photos! For example, when I take my baby’s photos, it is supposed to be in a relaxed environment as much as possible.
In my opinion, I believe it is possible to make a cute mom and son photoshoot if you have a DSLR camera or mirrorless camera. You can take a great shot even without the help of professional photographers. It is easy for you to take photos of your baby in your home and it is also easier for you to edit the photos because most of the editing tools are free.