If you’re like me, then you probably grew up reading the Harry Potter series. And if you’re like me, then you probably can’t wait to introduce the magic of Harry Potter to your own children. What better way to do that than by having a Harry Potter-themed photoshoot for your newborn? In this blog post, we will show you how to DIY a Harry Potter-themed photoshoot for your little one! We will also give you some tips on how to choose the perfect location and characters for your shoot. So read on, muggles!
The Harry Potter series is full of magic, adventure, and friendship. And what better way to celebrate the arrival of your new baby than by incorporating all of those things into a photoshoot? A Harry Potter-themed newborn shoot is the perfect way to do that! Not only will your little one look absolutely adorable in their wizarding robes, but you’ll also be able to capture the magic of Harry Potter in a way that you can cherish forever.
How to create the Harry Potter theme for the photoshoot by yourself
First, you’ll want to create the atmosphere of Harry Potter by choosing the right location. If you live near a forest or have access to one, that would be the perfect place to shoot your photos. If not, don’t worry! You can still create the feeling of being in the Forest by hanging some green and brown fabric from trees or using fake leaves as props. You can also create the feeling of a castle, just like Hogwarts, by finding an old building or using a large piece of cardboard to make your own castle at home.
Once you’ve found the perfect location, it’s time to choose your characters! If you want to keep things simple, you can just dress your baby in a cute Harry Potter outfit and take some photos of them with a wand. But if you want to get creative, you can dress up as different characters from the Harry Potter series and take photos of your baby with you in character. Some ideas for characters include Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Draco Malfoy, Professor Snape, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, and Rubeus Hagrid. So let’s get started!
The classic one. You can’t go wrong with a simple Harry Potter themed photoshoot. All you need is a baby in some Harry Potter gear and voila! You’ve got an adorable shoot that any fan of the series will love.
Tips if you DIY :
- If you want to create your own Hogwarts castle, all you need is a large piece of cardboard and some paint! . I’ll also include later in the post a deep explanation about how to DIY your own Hogwarts castle for the session.
- For a simple wand, try using a chopstick or even a pencil! Just wrap some tape around it and voila!
- If you want to get really creative, try using different props to create different scenes from the Harry Potter series. For example, you can use a broomstick and a toy owl to recreate the scene where Harry first meets Hagrid.
- For Harry’s scar, you can use makeup to draw it on your baby’s forehead. Just be sure to test it out on yourself first to make sure it’s not too harsh for your baby’s skin.
If you’re looking for a more light-hearted shoot, try dressing up as Ron Weasley! This is especially perfect if you have more than one child, as you can dress them up as Harry and Ron and take some adorable photos of the two “best friends”.
Some tips if you DIY:
- For Ron’s signature freckles, you can use an eyeliner to draw them on your child’s face.
- To make Ron’s wand, you can use a chopstick or pencil wrapped in brown tape.
- To make Ron’s hair, try using a red or orange wig!
For a more serious shoot, try dressing up as Hermione Granger. This is perfect if you want to take some photos of your baby “reading” one of the Harry Potter books or casting spells with their wand.
Some tips if you DIY:
- To make Hermione’s glasses, you can use black construction paper or cardstock cut into circles and taped to together.
- To make Hermione’s wand, you can use a chopstick or pencil wrapped in brown tape.
- For Hermione’s hair, try using a wig or braiding your child’s hair into two low pigtails.
If you want to take some truly iconic Harry Potter photos, try dressing up as Draco Malfoy and take some pictures of your baby “reacting” to meeting Lord Voldemort for the first time. This is sure to be a hit with any Harry Potter fan!
A Tip if you DIY:
- To make Draco’s Slytherin robes, you can use a green or grey sweater and some black fabric to make a simple cloak.
For a truly unique Harry Potter themed photoshoot, try dressing up as Professor Snape and take some photos of your baby “learning” potions or transfiguration. This is sure to be a hit with any Harry Potter fan!
If you want to take some truly magical Harry Potter photos, try dressing up as Albus Dumbledore and take some pictures of your baby in your arms! You could even get a baby owl to perch on your shoulder for the perfect Harry Potter photo.
Another great option for a Harry Potter themed photoshoot is to dress up as Minerva McGonagall. She was always such a fierce and powerful character, and I think it would be so cool to see a newborn baby dressed up as her.
For this one, I think the best idea is for one of the parents to dress up as Hagrid and the newborn to dress up as Harry Potter. This way, you can recreate the scene where Hagrid first meets Harry! Hagrid is the protector of Harry which makes this scene so special.
Some tips if you DIY:
- For Hagrid’s beard, you can use a fake beard or even just cotton balls glued to your face.
- To make one of the parents look as big as Hagrid, try wearing all black and stuffing a pillow under your shirt.
how to DIY your own Hogwarts castle for the photoshoot
If you want to take your Harry Potter themed photoshoot to the next level, try making your own Hogwarts castle!
A list of what you’ll need:
- A large cardboard box
- Construction paper
- First, you’ll want to cut out the bottom of the cardboard box so that your baby can fit inside.
- Next, you’ll want to cut out windows and doors from the construction paper and tape them onto the box.
- Now it’s time to paint! You can either paint the whole box one color, or you can try to recreate the look of stone by painting it grey and adding some black streaks.
- Once the paint is dry, it’s time to decorate! You can add furniture made from construction paper or even real furniture.
And there you have it! Your very own Hogwarts castle that you can use for your Harry Potter themed photoshoot.
Some more Ideas for DIY special props to create the Harry Potter theme
If you want to get really creative, you can even make your own flying broomsticks or Quidditch goalposts. The possibilities are endless!
To make flying boomsticks, you will need:
- A broom
First, you’ll want to tie the string around the broom handle.
Next, you’ll want to tape the other end of the string to a ceiling beam or door frame.
And that’s it! Your very own flying broomstick that you can use for your Harry Potter themed photoshoot.
To make Quidditch goalposts, you will need:
- Two hula hoops
- First, you’ll want to paint the hula hoops any color you want. The original Quidditch goalposts color was red and gold, but you can use any color you want!
- Next, you’ll want to tape the hula hoops together so that they form a goal.
- Next, you’ll want to tape them to the wall or door frame to create your very own Quidditch goalposts.
And that’s it! You now have everything you need for your Harry Potter themed photoshoot.
In this blog post, I showed you how to DIY a Harry Potter themed photoshoot for your newborn. I hope you found this blog post helpful and that you’re able to recreate some of these magical photos with your own baby! And as always, have fun in the process! Take lots of pictures and may the magic be with you!