As a parent, you want to remember every moment of your child’s life. And what better way to do that than through photos? But before you book a photographer and schedule a photoshoot, there are a few things you need to do to prepare your newborn.
If you’re on a rush, you can read these tips that summarize the whole guide 🙂
How to prepare Newborn for photoshoot
1. Schedule the shoot for when your baby is between 4-10 days old. This is when they are typically the sleepiest and can be easily positioned.
2. Make sure your baby has a full tummy before the shoot. A sleepy, content baby is key to getting those perfect shots.
3. Choose a comfortable location. The shoot should take place in a warm, calm environment where your baby can feel relaxed.
4. Have everything you need on hand. This includes diapers, wipes, clothes, blankets, and anything else you might need to soothe your baby.
5. Be prepared to feed your baby during the shoot. It’s not uncommon for newborns to need to eat every couple of hours, so have a bottle or breast milk ready.
6. Relax and enjoy the moment. The most important thing is to capture this special time in your baby’s life. So sit back, relax, and let the photographer do their job.
Preparing the Family
For a successful newborn photo session, you can always include other family members! The first few weeks of a newborn can unite the whole family together, which makes for great family photos. So I have a few tips for the photo shoot:
1. Choose outfits that complement each other but don’t match. You want everyone to look their best, but you don’t want your family to look like they came straight out of a catalog. On the other hand, you don’t want anyone to wear a t-shirt covered with busy patterns.
2. If you have young children, schedule the shoot for when they are well-rested and fed. This will help them be cooperative and happy during the shoot.
3. Choose a location that is comfortable for everyone. Again, you want everyone to be relaxed and happy during the shoot. If you are doing a studio session, make sure the studio is big enough for the whole family. Most photographers will check this with you before the session, but you never really know.
4. Make sure the newborn baby is the center of the photoshoot! All the focus should be on the new little life that has just joined your family.
5. Lastly, although family photos are important, you can ask the photographer to take photos of your newborn by himself, or with the parents alone.
What to wear
For newborns, it is best to keep clothing simple and comfortable. A bodysuit or onesie with footies is a great option. You can also dress your baby in a cute dress or skirt with a tank top or tee shirt. If you are doing a studio shoot, they might clothing options for you to choose from, but it is always best to bring along a few of your own just in case.
How to prepare
Before the shoot, it is important to feed your baby and change their diaper. This will help them feel comfortable and happy during the photoshoot. It is also a good idea to bring along a pacifier or toy that your baby can hold on to. This will help them stay calm and content during the shoot.
The Gear You’ll Need
-A few outfits
-A full diaper bag (with some baby wipes)
-A toy or pacifier
-A camera (if you’re not using a photographer)
-food and drinks for you and your baby
What to Expect in the Newborn Photo Session
Newborn shoots can take a bit longer than other types of photoshoots. This is because you might need to take breaks for feedings and diaper changes. It is also important to be patient as your baby might not cooperate at first. But with a little patience and some great photographs, you will be able to capture the perfect moments of your newborn’s life.
How to Calm your Newborn during the session
These might be the most important tips in this guide. There are a few things you can do to help your baby stay calm during the shoot. First, try to keep them warm. You can do this by using a space heater or by covering them with blankets. You should also try to create a calm environment by turning off any loud noises and keeping the lights low. If you do the photoshoot at a photographer’s studio who is not newborn photogrpahy expert, make sure ahead of time that dimming the lights and the noise is possible in the studio. And as I mentioned earlier, make sure you are prepared for feedings and diaper changes. This will help your baby stay comfortable and happy during the shoot.
How to Pose Baby for Newborn Photos
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when posing your baby for a photoshoot. First, make sure you support their head and neck. You can do this by cradling them in your arms or using a pillow. Second, try to keep their bodies relaxed. You can do this by supporting their back and bottom. And finally, make sure you position them so that they are comfortable and happy. For cute poses or other poses ideas for a newborn photo shoot, you can read my guide here.
When to Schedule the Shoot
The best time to schedule a newborn photoshoot is when your baby is between 5 and 14 days old. This is because they will be more likely to sleep through the shoot and they will have that cute, newborn look.
How to Choose your Newborn Photographer?
When it comes to choosing a newborn photographer, it is important to find someone who you are comfortable with and who has experience photographing newborns. You should also make sure they are familiar with the poses and props that you want to use. And finally, be sure to ask for referrals from friends or family who have used a newborn photographer in the past.
Additional Tips to Get the Best Newborn Photos
Here are a few additional tips to help you prepare for your newborn photoshoot:
– Make sure you schedule the shoot in advance so that you can be prepared.
– Choose a photographer who has experience with newborns.
– Be patient and take breaks as needed.
– Bring along a few props, such as a blanket or a toy, to help your baby stay calm and happy.
– Have fun and enjoy this special time with your newborn!
Things to Avoid
There are a few things you should avoid during your newborn photoshoot:
– Don’t use flash. It can be too harsh on your baby’s delicate eyes.
– Don’t use props that are too big or bulky. This can make your baby uncomfortable.
In conclusion ,
newborn photoshoots can be a great way to capture the precious moments of your baby’s life. By following these tips, you can ensure that your shoot goes smoothly and that you get beautiful, high-quality photographs.
I hope you enjoyed this guide, and as always, have lots of fun!